PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay for an old XS?

section8joe
09-29-2009, 9:34 PM
I'm looking for a winter project bike. This will be the first bike that I will be messing around with. How much should I expect to pay for an early 80's xs 650? I've seen some for around $400 on craigslist. Does that seem like a fair price? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm really new to this. I've been riding motorcycles for a few years but this will be my first project bike.

rusjack
09-29-2009, 9:43 PM
Ive heard of them going from free too around a grand... but it depends on the bike
does it run? if so, how well? does it come with the ownership?
what are your plans for it? complete tear down?

i picked up mine with the motor out of the frame, two cracked tires, a loose top end on the motor, carbs in a box of parts for 400 canadian... around 350US at the time.... but i know ill have to put money and a lot of work into the engine, but other than that all im really using is the frame/forks/wheels...

If the bike was a runner and needed nothing to be on the road, i'd put down 1000 or less

noah
09-30-2009, 5:53 AM
i paid $300 for mine in about 10 diferent boxes but it came w 2 engines. all i can say is for my first build i wish i had baught a runner though now with every thing stripped off i dont know how much original shit i would use anyways. but i see guys asking way over $1200 around here and think they are crazy

Doubleclutch
09-30-2009, 6:30 AM
$300 to 1k is the going price around here but the all depends on the condition and if there's a title.

dirtyd
09-30-2009, 7:19 AM
like these cats are saying it depends on the condition of the bike, the more work the less money sorta a scale. here are some things to look for and a way to go about a project bike. figure out what you mean by project bike. lots o guys use the term, same vocabulary different dictionary, project to some means total nut bolt tear down engine tranny rebuild wheels front end etc. if to you project means i want to chop it up a bit switch around some sheet metal, change the seat and controls bars etc. then you look for a particular bike. once you figure out what your project plan is, you look for the bike that suits your needs. an ad might read, decent shape dents on the tank seat torn needs battery, clear title in hand. those are all the things you are gonna change anyway and the seller thinks his bike is shit cause it looks like shit. = good price.
think total cost involved - your time because thats the purpose of a project to spend time on. but hard parts , and then figure out your budget, what you want to spend. then you will be able to buy with knowledge and confidence. I picked up a sweet running KZ 650 yesterday Id had my eye on for a couple of weeks. tank had a dent, and it needed a battery. other than that it is mint and runs like a champ. the dude couldn't start it so he went from 800 to 5oo. I payed it. cause it runs great and is clean. 0- 1000 is most the range , I picked up an xs 400 for 100 bucks not running the cat didn't know if it did or not, I got lucky on that one. Good luck , sorry for the long diatribe just want to help

dannyb
10-01-2009, 9:23 PM
i'm looking at doing the same thing and where i am at in minnesota:

Less than 400 will get you a assembled basketcase that might turn over

400-600 will get a runner that needs work to be completely road worthy

600-1000 will get you a pretty good daily driver that may need some cosmetic cleaning up and your standard mainatance.

section8joe
10-04-2009, 8:11 PM
Do you guys think it would be worth it to do a 400cc? I found one for $250 that runs with title.

KeithinSB
10-04-2009, 8:50 PM
Do you guys think it would be worth it to do a 400cc? I found one for $250 that runs with title.

no

scotttowne
10-04-2009, 9:05 PM
I paid $300 for a "complete" XS in good condition with the engine in a separate box. I'm told it ran well. Ha ha. Guess I'll find out.

section8joe
10-04-2009, 9:07 PM
What's up Scott? Funny how many people are evolving to motorcycles from bmx!