PDA

View Full Version : can u patch puncture in sidewall ??????

scumbag
03-28-2011, 3:46 PM
i am no tire expert by any means. I got a a nail in the side wall of my tire and a buddy of mine (old grey beard HD guy) told me since it was a tubed tire to pull it and he would put a galvanized patch in it, he said he has done it many times over the years only to punctures and only on tubed tires. just wondering what others thoughts are on this. I was just gonna toss it and get a new one. but its a avon gangsta and its pricey with less than 300 miles on it.

Fredo
03-28-2011, 4:06 PM
I would patch a side wall tubed tire only to get me home. My recomendation is buy a tire. There is a lot of movement of the rubber on a side wall, a puncture can turn into a rip at the worst possible moment.

Ryno
03-28-2011, 4:09 PM
Agreed.
If it was 4 wheels it wouldn't be as big an issue.
No need to push your luck.

I would patch a side wall tubed tire only to get me home. My recomendation is buy a tire. There is a lot of movement of the rubber on a side wall, a puncture can turn into a rip at the worst possible moment.

ARBY
03-28-2011, 4:26 PM
I damn sure wouldn't. The faster tires spin the more they expand. This may put stress on an already compromised side wall.

northlandak
03-28-2011, 4:52 PM
As a former tire shop owner - No , you shouldn't . 4 wheels or two . I would not take that risk - I've seen tires that have turned to dust in a moment during a sidewall blowout...

wargasm
03-28-2011, 5:28 PM
No. Never patch a sidewall.

Car. Truck. Bike. Lawn Mower. Doesn't matter. Go buy a new tire.

turtlem1969
03-28-2011, 6:41 PM
+1000000000000000 on what's already been said.

ShytHed
03-28-2011, 8:02 PM
Bunch of fucking pussy's!! patch it and let me now how it works!

...that being said, i wouldnt fucking patch a sidewall not for more than getting it home.

panmaster
03-28-2011, 8:12 PM
the cost to replace a tire hardly seems worth risking your life over just my .02

bikesandbitstn
03-28-2011, 8:29 PM
simple answer... NO you are not allowed to plug or patch if it is in the sidewall!!
Do it right and buy a tire its not worth the risk of somebody getting hurt/killed!!!

BIGJ
03-29-2011, 2:02 PM
i am no tire expert by any means. I got a a nail in the side wall of my tire and a buddy of mine (old grey beard HD guy) told me since it was a tubed tire to pull it and he would put a galvanized patch in it, he said he has done it many times over the years only to punctures and only on tubed tires. just wondering what others thoughts are on this. I was just gonna toss it and get a new one. but its a avon gangsta and its pricey with less than 300 miles on it.

ask the grey beard buddy how many funerals he has been to

scumbag
03-30-2011, 8:00 AM
Bunch of fucking pussy's!! patch it and let me now how it works!

...that being said, i wouldnt fucking patch a sidewall not for more than getting it home.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA now thats the attitude i like.

I wasnt to up on the idea from the get go. just wondered what others thought . pretty much reinforced my thoughts on it. thanks everyone. appreciate the feed back

kombi66
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
yes you can patch a sidewall.. only if it belongs to a friend who banged your old lady

drumballer
03-30-2011, 3:05 PM
Patching a sidewall is just retarded. Pony up and buy some new rubber..

secondgear
03-30-2011, 3:18 PM
Yeah those tires are expensive! and just think of the money you can save........ for a skin graph when the patch goes ta hell at 80mph!!! Not worth takin the chance with a patch!! rubber side down!
Secondgear!

oildevil13
03-31-2011, 4:58 PM
I run tubes in everything, and have patched them but only to get to a good tire. An old hot rod guy I know said he doesnt cheap any steering, brakes, or tires and wheels.... cause these things will kill you. Other things have less severe consequences.... and recieve appropriate levels of attention

No. Dont go any farther than you have to on it.