PDA

View Full Version : Titles and Laws in different states

superflysnow
08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
So lets use this as a tool to help weigh pros and cons of special construction titles in different states.

I have now brought 3 bikes into Colorado from other states, in Colorado there are no notarized titles, simply a bill of sale and signed title. The DMV will perform a VIN inspection and thats it!

Who has done this elsewhere and who has titled a special construction? Was it a hassle? What are matching #'s really worth on a late model or off brand bike?

-josh

imtheslime
08-02-2009, 3:27 PM
I think here in Nevada if it's titled by the motor you can put it in any frame, no problem. If it's titled by the frame and you transplant the motor you then have a special construction.

h2omonkey
08-02-2009, 4:24 PM
sorry got distracted by your headline, thought it said titties and laws

XbrooklynX
08-02-2009, 5:15 PM
I could do more to contribute if it was infact about titties and laws.

imtheslime
08-02-2009, 5:51 PM
sorry got distracted by your headline, thought it said titties and laws
I just caught that. You got titties on the brain superfly? it's all good man..

shortchop
08-02-2009, 6:12 PM
I Just got a bike with a CA title, titled as a 1952 HD. Brought to Nevada had to get a VIN inspection and they want to title it as a Special Construction Cuz the frame is a 52 And the motor is a 76 HD. Called a title service place and they told me if I have a 76 HD motor that I can title it as a 76 HD. I sent them the paper work so I will see what happens. I don't have a problem with a special construction title, but ALL insurance companies do. To get full coverage on a special construction is ridiculous. But you can get liability, no problem. So if your bike gets jacked KISS it good bye and take the law into your own hands.

Biltwell
08-02-2009, 6:34 PM
on my 04 triumph with special construction frame i just took the mso and title i had with the motor to a registration place they did all the paper work with the dmv all i had to do was get a VIN inspection thru CHP and i had a title in 10 days was super easy. deffinitly sweated it but all in all super easy. this was California

BFJosh

iiweeldman
08-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Taxachusetts is a bitch!

You need an MSO for motor, frame, and tranny. You also need reciepts for the rest of the parts. If you build a ground up without an exisiting title, you need a reciept for every part of the bike. No used parts allowed! Worst part of all, is the state troopers are the ones that comb through the bike to make sure it is worthy of a title and VIN.

Easiest way to do a ground up bike in MA is to buy a wrecked bike with a clean title and transfer the vin to the new frame. Your bike will not be titled in the current model year, but it beats the heck out of the bullsh*t they put you through at the DMV.

Scott

dannyb
08-30-2009, 8:27 PM
what about a bike with no title (77 xs650) available at purchase, that i want to hardtail? Also, i live in Minnesota, if anyone is familiar with the titling process there.

KT
08-30-2009, 8:48 PM
Ohio the bike is titled by the frame not the engine ..So clean title and frame match #s your in like flin ....I brought home a bike form NY once had a bill of sale ..took it to a local car dealer he looked the frame numbers over checked it out wrote me some paperwork ..Took that to the DMV and got a Ohio title.....

clay
08-30-2009, 10:34 PM
is there a positive to a special construction title?

imtheslime
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
is there a positive to a special construction title?
Not that I know of or have heard. Other than having a frame exactly how you want it and not cutting the original I think it's more like short bus "special".

clay
08-31-2009, 6:12 PM
Not that I know of or have heard. Other than having a frame exactly how you want it and not cutting the original I think it's more like short bus "special".

thats more like it

helltaco
08-31-2009, 8:17 PM
I live in Washington DC.

My donor bike had a salvage title, so I bought a custom frame from Led Sled. It came with numbers and an MSO. The way you are supposed to do it in DC is:
1. Go to inspection station for VIN verification & vehicle inspection
2. Take MSO and proof of insurance to DMV and pay up. You will get registration and a tag, and they will mail you a normal stamped title (no "custom" or anything else, just a regular title).

Only problem is, there are no guidelines for safety inspection, so you will get the runaround there, and when you go to get your title nobody knows what an MSO is so you'll get the runaround there. I doubt there's too many people trying to get custom construction titles in DC but I would recommend against it, it will take a lot of your time and patience. Plus, the only insurance company I could find that'll insure custom bikes in DC is Foremost, and they are expensive.